Sunlight, Suryas, and Sunsets


          
My memory of BIRDS, Bharati Integrated Rural Development Society, sometimes is overshadowed by such dramatic experiences at Visthar and the children’s home.  But the very fact that made it blend in so well was also the reason I loved it so much.  It was India, in real life.  Well, except for our air-conditioned rooms, which were much appreciated in the transition from Bangalore (70 degrees F) to Nandyal (105 degrees F).  In the mornings at BIRDS, when I wasn’t in the bathroom trying to manually flush the toilet with a bucket of water, sometimes I would think about going up on the roof to do my surya namaskar (sun salutation) that I learned from a crazy Indian martial arts fighter at Visthar.  When I got home I had to youtube it to make sure I was doing it right because at the time I was pretty distracted by his bare upper body and loosely fashioned dhoti.  But I do remember that after he taught us the exercise, he assured us that “if you do this 10 times every morning and every evening, you will live a long and happy life.”  So far, he’s right. 










            
The roof at BIRDS was an unexpected blessing.  Cool thing #1: it had a windy staircase leading up to it.  No matter what is at the top of a windy staircase, it’s automatically more fun.    Cool thing #2: the painters were the greatest guys ever.  Chondrigon and Ooday, whose names both apparently mean “sunlight” (literally everyone’s name in the state of Andhra Pradesh means “sunlight”), were repainting the entire building for the start of the new school year. We were on the roof at the same time quite often (not accidentally…I would go up there if I saw them…) and it was amusing to watch them work and joke around.  They would ask me about the books I was reading or tease me if I fell asleep while trying to read.  My Telugu was practically non-existent, so our relationship consisted of smiling, waving, laughing, and pretending to understand what they were saying.  It is odd to me now because I have such a distinct memory of feeling like we were the best of friends.  Language really isn’t everything, despite what Foucault may say.  One time I stood up on the railing of the roof in attempt to take a cool picture (the number one reason I risk my life these days), and was promptly reprimanded for unsafe conduct.  In a Braveheart-esque portrayal of freedom, I spread my arms and yelled “I’M ALIIIIIIIIVVVVEEEEE!”  Then I got down.  I don’t know if anyone got a picture.  

Cool thing #3: it had absolutely amazing views! 

The Nalamala Mountains 

A BIRD’s eye view of the compound

the sunsets were always spectacular

The adjacent farmlands 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

housekeeping items

Hello Love

The first few days