thoughts on a bad day



it's wednesday
my eyes are tired and glazed from the artificial glow of my computer screen 
my back aches
my head hurts
from these longs days in this strange place where I sit in a 6'x6' box with three sides
and have a cushion for my wrists 
and call it 'success'

it's been raining for four days 
the good kind of rain that helps you think 
and lets you cry 

for sometimes, the world is heavy
and i feel its weight on my shoulders 
for no good reason at all, except perhaps the breaking of my heart for the broken world
and forgetting, as i always do, that i cannot carry its weight 

another 'mass shooting'
feels normal 
it's wednesday, after all
i'm connected but not affected
i'm aware but not a part 
today, i am removed, but tomorrow, who knows?

coping
i drink a glass of water and lay on my bed in the dark
until the pain behind my eyes is gone 
then i turn on slow jazz
for no good reason at all, except perhaps it is what i want to hear 
a complexity of rhythms and melodies and harmonies
tension 
and then, resolution

i get up and stretch out on my yoga mat 
wishing for just a minute i could hold my soul outside my body
and keep it healthy with a 30-day YouTube video series 
maybe then i would not so easily forget
maybe then i would not so easily stray

the dull, familiar pain in my abdomen
reminds me of the ritual cleansing from the old, the worn out, the useless
this space inside me, an opportunity for reconciliation 
for becoming new 

i am content 
re-purposed 

i get up and make myself soup 
and grilled cheese, because it reminds me of home 
and sit on the floor with my hands in my lap
imagining the world and all its broken pieces, and my own soul
so desperately and constantly in need of grace 

it's wednesday 
and it is raining
for no good reason at all, except perhaps because sometimes, the world is heavy 


    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

housekeeping items

Hello Love

The first few days